How do you prepare your bikes for storage?

Techniques for storing your restored motorcycle.

How do you prepare your bikes for storage?

Postby redbug2 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm

I have too many bikes now... I can't keep them running. I was storing many of them with full tanks but that seems to be an issue. I had one full tank that rusted at the base because water must have gotten in somehow. I'm thinking about removing all gas and putting a rag coated with WD40.

Maybe I should spray the bike with WD40 on the metal pieces. Perhaps wax the paint, and even leave the wax on without buffing?

What about the tires?
redbug2
Site Admin

Re: How do you prepare your bikes for storage?

Postby blipp » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:03 pm

On a two-stroke, is there a tank mixture which would preserve the inside of the tank? And that next spring could still fire the engine? And not send the plugs to their death?

The British have been suspending their tyres for a long time. It would be nice to design the cheapest possible pit stand to put under stored machines. Something that will not allow the bikes to get knocked over too easily. Unfortunately, I think that one size would not fit all.
1975 Suzuki TC185
blipp

Re: How do you prepare your bikes for storage?

Postby redbug2 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:18 am

Watched a lot of TV, velocity channel. Most high $$$ cars are being stored with Aviation Fuel. Never spoils. Never used it... I've been draining my tanks and carbs and fogging them with WD40.
redbug2
Site Admin

Return to Storage