Stuck Engine, any advice?

Focused on Engine Rebuilding

Stuck Engine, any advice?

Postby redbug2 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:34 pm

Just wondering what others use to free their stuck engines. I've used liquid wrench mostly. I've heard diesel fuel works. Somebody just recommended iodine. Any thoughts?
redbug2
Site Admin

Re: Stuck Engine, any advice?

Postby blipp » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:51 pm

This worked for a 1947 Jeep with one stuck piston: Poured in kerosene, liquid wrench, and PB Blaster and tried a long handle on a socket on the crank bolt which just about stripped it. Pulled the head and bashed sideways on the obviously stuck piston to free up the rings. After a couple of months of that, put the socket back on and heated the entire block and bores with a mapp gas torch. It was squeaky but it did finally begin to move. Then lots of lubrication and slowly worked it back and forth without further stripping or loosening the bolt.

Amazingly, it does not smoke!
1975 Suzuki TC185
blipp

Re: Stuck Engine, any advice?

Postby redbug2 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:00 am

Still stuck?

I've gotten a lot of engines un-stuck. Usually liquid wrench. What's stuck? Be careful on stuck valves, if you try to unstick them by turning the crankshaft you can bust something. Sometimes you get lucky when they have not been stuck that long, if there is a little movement just work it back and forth. If the piston is stuck you should remove it after you get it un-stuck. Chances are the rings are still stuck in the piston after piston is free in cylinder.

Sometimes heat can loosen things up. My most difficult piston for me was from a BMW R27. Soaked it with a bunch of stuff, heated it, finally ended up pounding it out with a very heavy hammer. Destroyed the piston, but I had no other choices... http://www.cyclerestorer.com/pages/rest ... 4&td_var=8

I've un-stuck pistons a few times when exhaust and intake valves are closed by putting a grease fitting in spark plug hole and using grease gun. 1200 psi....
redbug2
Site Admin

Return to Engine Rebuilding